Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Task 1

“a day in the life of web 2.0” by David Warlick.

I am interested in collaboration on wikis and blogs. We have not used this before with our class. I like the idea of tossing out a question and having kids write a reaction to it. I appreciate the point that kids can learn to make positive and negative comments about a topic without that being seen as the kid’s own belief. Being able to argue a point with some distance is a good skill. This encourages higher level thinking and discussion. Maybe we could assign some reading from Junior Scholastic and then have the kids react to the story and to each others’ comments.

“web-logged” by Will Richardson

Just read a few posts by WR. I like the advice on hiring: Look for people who ask “Why?” not “How?” Also he points out that we waste teachers’ time by having workdays that teach how to do tasks. Let people figure it out on their own. I find that the tech people at Paideia are really helpful to me when I come with a questions + I remember what they teach because it matters to me right then. I use the info, and I remember it. Also read his blog about loving to read on his ipad and sent that to Harper, my son who works for Apple.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of kids responding to a reading of some sort. I need to reconcile or get over or balance the concept of kids responding freely and kids writing well. I'd like to have more times of free response, in a way, just to get ideas rolling...but I know it will be difficult for me to swallow when the kids post ideas in writing fraught with errors!

    I liked the Why vs. How distinction, too.

    http://becca-pi20blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete